December 3, 2013

Pattern Test - Made for Mermaids Christmas Belle

Hello again! Remember how I said I tested 3 patterns last week? Well today I'm going to tell you about numero dos! A couple of weeks ago, I posted about the Hooded Caplet pattern from Made for Mermaids (you can read about it here). Well Megan just released yet another pattern in her Everyday Princess line - the Christmas Belle pattern! (Available for purchase HERE) I was lucky enough to get to test this pattern as well!



If you're just tuning in, Made for Mermaids just started selling PDF patterns this past fall. Her line of PDF patterns is called the "Everyday Princess Collection" and they are just what they sound like, Princess outfits that are practical and comfy enough to be worn (and played in) everyday! They are perfect for you mamas out there with girly girls who love to play dress up! Her patterns are so versatile though, you can totally change the look based on what fabric you chose!

Photo Credit Made for Mermaids
Here's a quick rundown on the Christmas Belle Pattern:
Size Range: 18" Doll (available here), 6 months-girls 8
Pattern Assembly Time: 10-12 min
Fabric Cutting Time: 35 min
Sewing Time: 2 hours
Bonus: Rolled rosette tutorial included!

So first off, I LOVE it when patterns are available in a dolly version! I just got Maci her first 18" doll for Christmas, so I plan on making a lot of matching outfits, I just know she will love it! I also love it when patterns start anywhere lower than 2T.


There were 5 pieces to cut out that had computer drawn pattern pieces, and the rest were rectangles that you cut according to a chart in the pattern. The cutting charts are actually included on the pattern pieces themselves, which I love! It means that you don't have to go digging to find the rest of your pattern to know what you need to cut out. The elastic cutting chart is included on the pattern pieces as well.

There were 8 rectangles to cut out, and 3 pieces of elastic. I prefer to cut my rectangles with a rotary cutter and ruler, I love how precise I can get the cuts!

Photo Credit Pris Sewn
The front of this adorable dress features a contrasting center panel accent as well as contrasting cuffs on the sleeves. The sleeves and neckline are both gathered with elastic (no shirring, easy on & off) and there are sash ties around the waist to customize the fit and allow for growth! The pattern is extremely well written! Especially with all of the little details added in, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to reread any of the steps to figure out what I was supposed to do!


For my first time making it, it took 2 hours of sewing time. When you factor in all of the adorable little features this dress has, that's pretty great! The instructions were very clear and the tutorial includes full-color photographs for those of you who are visual learners.

Photo Credit Made for Mermaids

Megan already had a tester for 3T (Maci's size) so I tested the 12 month size on my little niece! Isn't she just adorable? She normally wears 9-12 months in RTW, but her chest measurement actually coincides with the 6 month size of this pattern, so the dress ended up a little roomy on her. With the sash ties though, we were able to adjust it to fit her well, and she has plenty of room to grow!


Megan's patterns are so well written and the end result is always SO cute, I would recommend them to anyone. Thanks for letting me test for you again Megan!

Make sure to snag the Christmas Belle pattern HERE, it's on sale for just $5 til Friday! (12/6). You can also get the dolly version HERE, or go ahead and get the bundle for only $7 HERE! Seriously, you can't beat that!






No comments:

Post a Comment