November 17, 2013

One of my Faves

Of all of the patterns I have, there is one that I have used FAR more than any other. It is one of the first PDFs I bought and totally got me hooked on PDF Patterns!

It's the Ava Knot Dress from Pink Poodle Bows!




One of my favorite photographers had a similar style dress from a well known children's clothing brand and I loved it! I looked at it and thought, "I could totally make that!". (That thought gets me in trouble more often than not) I just can't bring myself to pay $50+ for something I know I can make - I know, I'm cheap! Either way, that led me to go searching for a pattern, and there it was! And $6! What a deal!

If you are unfamiliar with PDF patterns, I suggest reading this blog post from Fairytale Frocks and Lollipops. It pretty much sums up how I feel about PDF patterns!

I love this pattern because it's so versatile. It's great for the summer, but can be layered for fall and winter. It can be embellished. It's so fun to mix and match patterns & colors! I've probably made this pattern 30+ times and it is still fun for me! I consider myself an intermediate seamstress and this dress takes me about 1 hour and fifteen minutes from cutting the fabric to the finished dress. The size range is great as well, it starts at 6-12 months and goes up to Girls 11/12. Here is a sampling of the dresses I have made using this pattern!

Photo credit Bluebird Pictures


Photo Credit Bluebird Pictures

Photo Credit Jenny Lynn

Photo Credit Bluebird Pictures

Photo Credit Effie Grey Photography

Photo Credit Bluebird Pictures

Photo Credit Bluebird Pictures



I love how the whole feel of the dress can change based on the fabrics and trims used. It can be vintage, modern, whimsy, or sweet. It can be bold and colorful or soft and muted. It's a wonderful pattern and I would recommend it 100 times over! 

In my opinion, this pattern is suited for a confident beginner. There are no buttons or zippers, but you do need to make a buttonhole for the knots to go through. There is a little gathering to do before you attach the skirt to the bodice as well. That's about as tough as it gets!

If you haven't tried a buttonhole on your sewing machine, grab a scrap of fabric, look at the instructions in your manual, and spend 30 minutes practicing! Most modern machines are either equipped with a manual buttonhole or an automatic buttonhole. Don't be scared! Once you have practiced a few times, it's like second nature. You'll love the options it'll open up and all of the fabulous patterns you'll be able to whip up! 

That's all for now about the Ava Knot Dress. I just finished up testing 2 patterns for a designer I've never tried before! As soon as the patterns are released to the public, I'll share a blog post with some photos and a review of the pattern!



No comments:

Post a Comment