November 22, 2013

Pattern Test: Made for Mermaids Hooded Capelet

I had the privilege of testing a new pattern coming out from Made for Mermaids! If you haven't heard of Made for Mermaids, Megan is a newer pattern designer in the PDF world. She released the first of her Everyday Princess Collection patterns back in September and now has 4 Everyday Princess Patterns available, plus 2 dolly patterns. I love the concept of the Everyday Princess Collection - they are adorable character based dresses that are comfortable and practical enough to be worn everyday. What more could a sewing mama of a toddler girl want!?

This Monday, Made for Mermaids will be releasing their newest pattern from the Everyday Princess Collection- the Hooded Capelet! Read more about the pattern after the jump!


(**UPDATE 11/25 - Pattern is available for purchase HERE)

This pattern was so fun to test, since it's not something I normally make! It turned out SO cute I just couldn't wait to share it! This charming little capelet has the option to be fully lined (and reversible) or unlined & hemmed, and you can use ribbon ties or a hook & eye closure for the front. It's always great when you have options to chose from in a pattern. It comes in sizes 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, and 9/10. (I tested the 3/4)

The tutorial was clear & simple to understand, making it perfect for beginners & advanced sewers alike. There were 12 pages of pattern pieces to be printed, taped together, and then cut out. Printing, taping, & cutting took me less than 15 minutes total :) The pattern pieces are computer drawn and fit together flawlessly! To conserve ink & paper, I never print out the instructions, I just upload my patterns to Google Drive and read the tutorial off my iPad.


I made the lined & reversible version, so I had 8 pieces to cut out between the lining & main fabric, plus the faux fur trim. It took me about 25 minutes or so to get everything cut out and ready to sew! I chose to make it with a lightweight corduroy for the main fabric, quilting cotton for the lining, and minky for the faux fur trim.

I originally used a ribbon tie, but I used a really thin and fine satin ribbon and it frayed and came off :( I would suggest using a wider grosgrain ribbon for the ties (3/8" is what the pattern recommends). Since it was already all sewn up, I just went ahead and added a hook & eye closure to the lining side of the hood, and it still looks good when the lining side is worn on the exterior.


The capelet went together rather easily, except that I did it late at night when my mind wasn't quite functioning at normal capacity.. so there was a little more unpicking involved than I would like to admit :) Either way, it was totally my fault! I cruised over the very clear instructions a little too quickly! All in all, it took me about 90 minutes to get it all sewn up.

I seriously LOVE the end result! It is just darling, and Maci adores it! She calls it her Princess Cape. Hubby even commented on how cute it looks on Maci, which is really saying something! Maci and I had fun going to the park today to snap a few photos of the final product. (She loved the ducks!)





The last photo is definitely my fave! It was super cold out and Maci had tripped and scraped her knee a few minutes before, but somehow she still pulled this one out of her bag! Words can't describe how much I love that adorable face :)

The Everyday Princess Hooded Capelet is a pattern I would definitely recommend for any seamstress! It would be so cute with a Snow White or Belle outfit, but also super fun for fall/winter family pictures, Christmas outfits, etc. Make sure to like Made for Mermaid's Facebook Page and watch for the release this Monday (11/25)!





P.S.  The dress pictured underneath the hooded capelet is another one of my favorites! It's the Sally Dress from Very Shannon, I got it in the Sew Fab Pattern bundle a while back! I'll have to post about that one sometime too. Maci loves the pockets!



2 comments:

  1. I love it! I think i found the next project I want Terann to make.

    But I all so love the headband I need a tutorial or to buy some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! Maybe I will make a tutorial for the headband, they're super easy! Here's a tutorial for the burned flower part : http://www.simplyvintagegirl.com/blog/index.php/2010/05/29/tutorial-how-to-make-lovely-fabric-flowers/

      and then I just added the ribbon ends underneath it and attached it to stretchy lace!

      Delete